March 8, 2013

Solution to MagicJack's Conference Call Blocking Problem

MagicJack is by far the cheapest way for anyone to start making calls using an ordinary landline phone. It is also easier to use and you can take it with you anywhere around the world. MagicJack has become very successful in a short timeframe leaving behind traditional phone companies, cable companies, and VOIP providers like Vonage.

When I bought MagicJack in 2009, it was required  to connect it to a computer with an Internet connection. BUT, with the new MagicJack Plus, you do not need a computer anymore. Now, you can receive as good or better service than your regular home phone does. No more having to keep your computer turned on all the time. Any phone—corded, cordless, portable, DECT — can be plugged into  MagicJack PLUS which can be plugged directly into your cable modem or wired/wireless router via the Ethernet cable. Additionally, you still have a choice to plug your MagicJack PLUS to a computer when traveling, at a second house, at your business or even your home.

Since MagicJack is so cheap for consumers and that it needs to make money, it has started blocking calls made to conference call platforms. The reason (take this with a grain of salt) is that MagicJack pays a certain amount of fees to such calls routed to these conference platforms. Because MagicJack has millions of subscribers, these fees can easily add up and eat into MagicJack's livelihood. Also, MagicJack offers International phone service that competes directly with many of the VOIP providers of international calls. So, to promote their own service, MagicJack has simple started blocking such calls. From a business point of view, it does make sense, but from a consumer point of view, it sucks.

Rather than finding fault with a service that saves me hundreds of dollars every year, I decided to find work-around to this problem. The work-around is very simple. I had talked about in my earlier post on MagicJack, but since lots of people are asking about this, I have decided to write this on a dedicated page. If you are considering buying MagicJack, look no further. Get New & Improved 2012 MagicJack Plus + Free 1YR Subscription Magic Jack Service from Amazon.

Solution


STEP 1: Sign-up for Free Google Voice Number


Google Voice is a phone service from Google. Google Voice piggy backs on top of your existing phone service. It gives you one number for all your phones and a free US long distance and many calling features. Unlike MagicJack, Google Voice doesn't provide any hardware. So, it isn't a true substitute for landlines like MagicJack. Your first step is to sign-up for Google Voice number.

STEP 2: Add MagicJack Landline As a Call Forwarding Number


Add your Landline MagicJack phone number as a call forwarding number to your Google Voice. You may also have aready done this when signed up for the Google Voice. Additionally, you may also want to add your cellphone and other numbers you may have.

STEP 3 (OPTIONAL, but highly recommended): Remove PIN for Voicemail Access


This step ensures that when you call your Google Voice number from your registered MagicJack or Cell Phone numbers, you will be prompted with a Google Voice menu with the following options.  After the prompt, press 2 and dial the number that was previously blocked by MagicJack.

Key Action
Press 1 Listen to new voicemail, if any
Press 2 Place a call
Press 4 Change your settings

First go to Google Voice Settings.

[caption id="attachment_264" align="alignnone" width="400"]Google Voice Settings Google Voice Settings[/caption]


Click on the Edit button to change settings.

[caption id="attachment_265" align="alignnone" width="640"]Google Voice Settings Google Voice Settings[/caption]

 

Click on the Show Advanced Settings link.

[caption id="attachment_266" align="alignnone" width="640"]Google Voice Settings Google Voice Settings[/caption]

After this, there will be a screen containing a section called Voicemail. Next to it will be a link called "Activate Google voicemail on this phone". Click on this link. It will ask you set a 4 digit PIN. Enter the PIN. Once that is done, from a screen that looks like below, Select PIN not required. (Update 8/9/2013: Google just changed the user interface. I don't have the latest screenshot. The screen below won't exactly match what you would see on your screen. But, roughly this is the step you would need to follow in order to make outgoing calls from your MagicJack phone to Google Voice to a conference call number or a number that is blocked by MagicJack.)

[caption id="attachment_267" align="alignnone" width="640"]Google Voice Settings Google Voice Settings[/caption]

 

STEP 4 (TOTALLY OPTIONAL): Remove Call Forwarding


I personally don't give out Google Voice number to people close to me and therefore do need forward those calls to my landline or cellphone. Therefore, I've removed forwarding checkbox.

[caption id="attachment_268" align="alignnone" width="640"]Google Voice Settings Google Voice Settings[/caption]

 

Troubleshooting


If you don't follow instructions in STEP 3, it is likely that calling Google Voice number from your MagicJack landline number may forward the call to your cell phone or other numbers rather than giving you the menu prompt to call out using Google Voice. If you are in hurry and don't have time, then you can get that prompt by pressing * and then PIN. To avoid this inconvenience, step 3 is highly recommended especially when you need to jump on conference call while working from home.

46 comments:

  1. This was tough to do as I'm out of the USA, but got a number using proxy. BUT, the big problem is that there is no option now, it seems, to not use the PIN, and calls to the GV number do not give an option to "place a call," only a voice msg. So, still out of luck. I do not know why personal calls to all numbers in the one region are blocked as conference calls, because they are just personal numbers, but what can you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RESOLVED: Turns out for me, there seems no need to call GV from MJ. All I needed to do was call the number on GV using my provided MJ (or other). It then routes the call thru my MJ landline, I answer my own call from GV, and it then rings the number I wanted that shouldn't be blocked, so it works great for me. It was really difficult to understand all this stuff. I don't need/want to do groupie calls or fancy video calls, just get a call through, but mission accomplished! Thanks and hope this helps others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it really that difficult to spell out words instead of using abbreviations?

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting the solution. I'm glad it solved your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU!!! I've never used google voice before, but followed your instructions & BAM! I could make my conference calls!!! I spent 54 MINUTES with Magic Jack NO SERVICE Chat - NEVER answered my questions about when, why & HOW MUCH it would cost to call....THANK YOU from having to go back to AT&T!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vickie,
    I'm really glad that the instructions worked for you. MagicJack rocks once you are able to make conference calls.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the instruction and I could call the numbers blocked by Magic jack before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome Lisa. Glad the instructions were helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi.

    I tried above options, but I a not able to make outbound calls. Not sure what I am missing here .. Please assist.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am unable to follow step:
    call the number on GV using my provided MJ (or other). It then routes the call thru my MJ landline

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi.

    I tried above options, but I a not able to make outbound calls. Not sure what I am missing here .. Please assist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sanjay,

    Sorry for the delay in response. Looks like Google just changed the user interface. I've not updated this article, but here is an extra step you will need to perform.

    From the screen below, click on Show Advanced Settings.
    http://www.buyandholdblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Google-Voice-Settings-3.png

    After this, the screen that comes up will have a section called Voicemail. Next to it will be a link called "Activate Google voicemail on this phone". Click on this link. This is the part that Google changed recently.

    It will then ask you to set a 4 digit PIN.

    Once you set your 4 digit PIN, you will need to select PIN Not Required from a screen that looks similar as below.
    http://www.buyandholdblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Google-Voice-Settings-4.png

    I've not updated the screenshots yet. But, this will give you an idea.

    Please let me know if these instructions work or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm experiencing an odd issue. When I call our conference call line for the 1st time in the day (using google phone as instructed) - it ALWAYS works. Often times I may have 3 calls in one day. The NEXT time I try to call - I keep getting error messages. I call use Magic Jack to call Google phone. Google connects & says "this is a free call" - then when I try to put in the call # & pin I ALWAYS get the reply that the pin is invalid. In fact - when I just put in the call # it tells me the pin is invalid, although I haven't put in the pin yet! Very annoying. I almost had some success unplugging the Magic Jack - waiting, plugging in a new phone to the Jack & redialing - but that "trick" didn't work every time. Do you think I should clear my cache?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your comments. I personally never had this issue, so don't know why this happens. One thing you may try is to remove the PIN on your GV so that you won't be asked to enter it in the first place. This is how I have it. See here for a screenshot. NOTE: Google just changed the functionality, so this setting appears in Voicemail & Text section.
    http://www.buyandholdblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Google-Voice-Settings-4.png

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry - that's not the pin I was referring to. I already did that step, thanks. The PIN I'm referring to is on the conference line. The steps are to call the toll free # for the Conf Call - put in the call # , put in the pin# . When I'm on the 2nd call of the day, as soon as I put in the Call #, I get that the PIN # is invalid. I can call the exact same Conf Call & enter exactly on my cell & it will work.....(grrrrrr)

    ReplyDelete
  15. THANKS! I'll give each of these a try & let you know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is google voice free?
    I just started a radio show on Blog Talk Radio, which requires me calling into a conference line in order to host the show. Just installed magic jack this weekend and will need to host the show at least 5 times per week (for 15 minutes). I was shocked when I got htat message from magicjack...then I googled and found your blog... thank you, but now have more questions about google voice.
    I really need to be conscious about my expenses...
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Faith,
    Thanks for your questions. Google Voice is completely a free service. Google has been offering it for free for about 4-5 years now. Not sure it will stay free in the future. But, for now, it is free. Let me know if I can answer any more questions. Also, best of luck for your radio show.

    Thanks,
    Anant

    ReplyDelete
  18. My GV goes directly to voicemail...no menu with option to make call...i hear my GV greeting...
    that's it...how do i fix this? how do i get that menu?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diane,

    Did you follow steps 1, 2 and 3 mentioned in this article? Also, did you register (step 1) your landline or cell phone number from where you're calling the GV number?

    As a last resort, you can always interrupt for GV Voicemail greeting by pressing * (star) button and entering 4 digit PIN (if asked) and it will give you the menu.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just wanted to say THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're welcome. Glad that the instructions helped.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, this really worked. Took a while, but was worth the whole effort. Thanks! You have saved me several dollars :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the feedback. Glad to see the instructions worked.

    ReplyDelete
  24. it seems to work! one more magic jack headache resolved, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. Terry,

    Thanks for the feedback. Glad that the solution worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think I followed all of the instructions correctly but I am unable to verify my MJ landline when prompted to do so. When I punch in the two digit code google provides, the system seems unable to acknowledge it. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm not certain why this would happen. But, here are a couple of suggestions:
    (1) Try to delete your MJ number from GV and add that back and redo the verification process.

    (2) Make sure you're logged in to GV using the Google account to which your GV number is attached. In other words, Google allows you sign in to multiple different Google accounts while one is being logged in. Log off completely and log in using only one account that has GV number.

    (3) GV only allows one-to-one relationship between your "other" phone (MJ) and GV number. In other words, make sure that you have only one GV account in your household pointing to that MJ number.

    I hope this helps. Let me know if any of this works or not.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for your swift response. After I left the post I tried calling into work and realized once I got into the automated system the tones weren't being recognized and I couldnt choose any of the prompts. I tried another phone system and realized it wasn't working there either. I initiated a chat session with MJ and explained my issue. They had me unplug everything and they refreshed the device. MJ They also did some tweaking on the back end. Once they were finished your instructions worked perfectly. Such a relief!! I had signed myself up for five years and was near panic when I couldn't join or lead con calls! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great to see that MJ Tech Support was able to help you out. Also, glad to see the instructions worked.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I tried all the steps and followed instruction "press 2" to place the call but still did not work
    Please help

    ReplyDelete
  31. I dialed GV number via MJ number and then it was asking to "press 2" to place a call but i pressed 2 and tried that several time but it did not recognize my number 2

    ReplyDelete
  32. Try unplugging MJ and reconnecting MJ. Also, sometimes, pressing the #2 slowly helps after GV has finished instructing you to press 2 to dial.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for the help but tried plugging and unplugging MJ and pressed #2 after GV has finished the instruction but than i dialed the number international access numbers and it did not go thorough
    Can you please guide me
    thaks

    ReplyDelete
  34. Most likely the issue may be with MagicJack. Try connecting MJ to a computer (assuming you have MJ+ which does not need computer) and see if a call goes through that way. It may also prompt you (or through menu) to install the latest firmware. If this doesn't work, then your best bet would be contact MJ for help.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow this really worked
    Thank you very much
    it seems to work! one more magic jack headache resolved, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  36. Works like a charm. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Stacey,

    Thanks for the feedback. Glad the instructions worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I haven't tried this yet, but as I'm sitting here in the office today because I have a teleconference later (and can't call in using my magic jack at home), but I'm sure this solution will work. So I'm preemptively thanking you!!! I didn't even think of this, but this is great. Thanks for putting this online. I can finally take conference calls from home now (where cell reception is not literally 100% reliable thus I will not use it on important calls). This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Adam,

    Thanks for the comments. Please let me know if you run into any issues.

    Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I can't get this to work. I specifically bought MJ because I need to participate in 2 conference calls a day. Any thoughts? BTW, looking at the update you posted in the comments, when I go into advanced settings, I cannot find the selection that says “Activate Google voicemail on this phone.” I did all the other steps, but when I call the conference number either from GV on the computer, from my cell using the smartphone ap, or from the landline, I get a busy signal after the "this is a free call" prompt.....

    ReplyDelete
  41. I tried the above steps and Google voice said I didn't have enough credits to join the free conference line

    ReplyDelete
  42. Apparently GV no longer will dial teleconference services either. I set it up as directed. When I select option 2, it asks for the number, I enter it and after a looonnnnnggggg delay GV tells me that I don't have enough credits in my GV account to place the call. The conference phone number is in an Iowa area code.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you so much it works great, Appreciate this so much God bless you bro.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is a very informative tutorial. It works great! Thank you! Keep up the good work!

    Please visit Custom Phone Answering Solutions

    ReplyDelete