November 17, 2012

Making Calls to India and MagicJack Workaround

There was a time when we were paying 51 cents per minute to make calls to India using the traditional landline phones ten years ago. The prices have come down significantly. Plus, the traditional landline doesn't exist anymore.

Three years ago, we made the switch to MagicJack replacing Comcast's expensive phone service. At the same time, we replaced T-Mobile's cell phone service with Tracfone prepaid service. We are quite happy with the changes because it has saved us over $2500 and counting every year. See How to Save Money on Cell Phone Bill.

For India calls we used various services such as Reliance, Airtel, and many others before finally settling on India LD. IndiaLD offers the cheapest rates among all competitors. We pay roughly $11.74 (with taxes) for 1000 minutes/month service. When we run out of minutes, we simply add more minutes from IndiaLD's website.

While we are happier with IndiaLD's service, we are not happy with IndiaLD & MagicJack combination. Over the last few years, MagicJack has begun blocking calls made to conference platforms (such as the one India LD uses) including many companies' conference call systems. This has made it impossible to use IndiaLD using MagicJack.

Very quickly, we were able to find a workaround to MagicJack's conference call blocking problem using Google Voice. If you need step by step directions with screenshots, please see Solution to MagicJack's Conference Call Blocking Problem.

The process is quite simple and involves signing up for Google Voice phone number. This is your own phone number you can give others to call you. Also, you can make calls using this phone number. You just need to dial your own Google Voice number. The automated system will tell you to press 2 and then the number you want to call to and #. So, using MagicJack phone, we call Google Voice and then IndiaLD's access number, and then finally India number. If use use IndiaLD's speed dialing feature, we don't even need to remember and dial India's number. This workaround allows us to keep MagicJack and still make calls to India. By the way, this workaround works for any other conference call that may get blocked using MagicJack and isn't limited to only IndiaLD calls getting blocked.

Very recently, I received an iPhone from my work. I have now downloaded MagicJack's free iPhone app. This app comes very handy because I can make calls and receive calls over Wifi without using my iPhone minutes. Plus, it separates my work calls from my personal calls.

Our MagicJack requires to plug into a computer. But, we are now pondering whether we should just get MagicJack Plus or its competitor Nettalk Duo that doesn't require PC, but simply plugs directly into the router or a modem. We think this will save electricity, at least $5/month, to keep our desktop PC running for MagicJack.

Update 12/17/2012: We just bought the MagicJack Plus that went on sale for $34.95 + $7.95 shipping offer for current MagicJack owners. We were also able to transfer our existing subscription over to MagicJack Plus while keeping our existing phone number. If you are considering buying MagicJack, look no further. Get New & Improved 2012 MagicJack Plus + Free 1YR Subscription Magic Jack Service from Amazon.

I hope this post helps anyone who is looking for alternatives to expensive phone services. If you have any feedback on Nettalk's service, please free to leave your comments.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the details... Am really glad I found this page... However, am not able to make this work...
    I have a google voice # and I coupled my google voice # with my mob # and so when I call my google voice # from Magic JAck phone, my mobile rings and am not sure how to connect to India LD...
    Could you please help me out???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your question.

    Permanent Solution:

    (1) Add your Landline MagicJack phone number as a call forwarding number to your Google Voice. This process is same what you did when you added your mobile number for call forwarding from Google Voice.

    (2)Once your MagicJack number is verified and successfully added as call forwarding number, techically at this point it should work. When you call GV number from MagicJack, you will straight go to a Google Voice menu.

    (3) I've also gone one step ahead and removed checkmarks that says "Forward Calls To:" in the Google Voice settings. This ensures that my call never gets forwarded.

    (4) Hopefully, these steps will fix your problem. If you are asked for a PIN, then it means your MagicJack number is still not in verified state.

    Temperary Solution:
    (1) When you call from MagicJack to Google Voice AND when as soon as your mobile phone rings as a result of it, press * and your 4-digit PIN. It will put you into the Google Voice menu from where you can dial your number for IndiaLD or whatever server you may be using.

    Hope this helps. Please post if these instructions help because one other person asked me the same question few days ago.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot... It works fine...
    However am not able to get rid of the part where GV asks for the pin # though i registered MJ # in GV...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great. Please try the following to get rid of the PIN.

    1.Click Settings at the top of the page.

    2.Select the Phones tab.

    3.Select the Edit button under the phone for which you wish to change voicemail settings. (This Edit button is easy to miss as it is not presented as a link).

    4.Click the Show advanced settings link.

    5.In the Voicemail Access section:
    Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from this phone?
    Click Yes and then PIN Not Required.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot... Now it works without any issue...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    I am a Financial Advisor from India and am just fascinated that a non finance person you have such great insights. I have also read with interest your page on books and this page on magic jack.
    I have a magicjack which I have to plug into a computer and basically used it to call US from India using a US no.
    I also travel to US and am looking for telephonic solutions when I am there. I use Matrix because I can buy that in India and am basically connected the moment I land in US. But it invariably manages to charge me more than what they promise even with the basic packages.
    I wanted to ask whether I can buy a no. and talk time after I land in US for local calls and whether there are special packages for calling to India from there. I have an iphone with the magic jack app but that can only work in a wifi area and not from say the airport or when I am on the road.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your kind remarks.

    Since you travel to the US on a semi-regular (or regular basis), my recommendation would be that you buy a prepaid cellphone and its service called Tracfone.

    Depending on which phone you buy, it will cost you anywhere between $10 and $60. Most stores such as Walmart, Best Buy, Target, CVS, Walgreens, RadioShack and more carry these phones.

    You can also buy the pre-paid minutes card in the store itself, but it is slightly expensive. So, I prefer to buy it from Tracfone website because they give you bonus minutes depending on coupons.

    I'd suggest that you buy a 1 year card (400 minutes) which automatically doubles or triples your minutes depending on the phone you buy. Also, if you recharge your pre-paid card before the minutes expire, you don't lose unused minutes. This 1 year card costs about $100. If you get triple minutes cellphone, it will cost $50. So, for $150 you will get about 1200-1500 for the year.

    Tracfone works anywhere in the US. This solves your US calling problem from areas where you don't have WiFi or internet connection.

    To call India, you can buy minutes through a service called India LD. 500 minutes will cost you $5. Both these services do not require monthly contracts and credit check that goes with it.

    I personally use both Tracfone as well as India LD. Tracfone saves us a lot of money. See my blog post on Tracfone here.

    See below for details:
    Walmart
    Tracfone

    ReplyDelete
  8. One more point I forgot to mention on Tracfone. A cousin of mine recently came to the US on a student visa. I bought him a $60 Tracfone with triple minutes and 1500 minutes card for $200. For $260, he has 4500 minutes which is more than enough to last him at least a couple of years. He uses Google Talk on his laptop to dial US numbers and uses cell phone when he is out of WiFi coverage or when walking outside. Trafone is the chepeast way to get cell phone service in the US. Everything else is costly and requires monthly contract. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted an entry a couple of times but didnt get published because I realise now that I did it as a google count.
    Thanks once again for a detailed reply.
    I visit US once a year for 2-3 weeks. Normally I buy 300 minutes of talk time, which cost me $30. But my service provider is lousy and last 2-3 times he could not activate the no even 2 days after landing in US.
    If I can buy the same in the outlets mentioned above or even at the airport it would suffice my requirements. I have an iphone so I would also want to know what would be the cost of data access.
    Many thanks once again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your feedback again. Getting pre-paid data connection on an iPhone, believe it or not, is extremely hard in the US. This is because most carriers in the US require yearly contracts and charge on a monthly basis. Also, phones are locked to carriers and is difficult to move from one carrier to the other. Since your iPhone is from India, I'm assuming it is unlocked. You may try calling Virgin Mobile (CDMA network) or T-Mobile (GSM network) and see if it would work on their network. These companies offer no contract option for $35-50 per month option. But, I'm not sure how they treat someone who only visits once or twice a year. If credit checks are required, they may not provide you the service. You can try though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi

    I read the blog it says that there is a way to call indiald acess numbers using magic jack, but i am unable to forward the Google voice number to magic jack number.I installed the magic jack app and got a number with *010xxxxxxx* tried to keep the same number in the Google voice forwarding it says that the area code is wrong.can you please let me know the exact steps
    Thanks in Advance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not following your question. Perhaps, you can clarify. This is how I use the iPhone MagicJack app to call India using IndiaLD.

    First, start the MagicJack app in iPhone. Then, you would call your GoogleVoice number from the MagicJack app. Once the GoogleVoice number is dialed successfully, the prompt will ask you to press 2 to call out other number. After you press 2, enter the the IndiaLD's access number. After this, follow instructions on the voice prompt provided by IndiaLD. In other words, process is same using MagicJack app vs. using the MagicJack landline.

    Also, just to be clear, my iPhone MagicJack has the same number as my MagicJack landline number. This is how it is supposed to be so that you can take your landline calls from anywhere with your iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,
    Everything worked well as described for about 10 days. Now when I use the MagicJack to call Google Voice and then dial the Access number....all's OK but when I put in my India LD Account Number, the system says this account does not exist and won't allow me to proceed. Any suggestions how to work around this would be helpful. On line I see I still have this account but its just I can't access it through the GVoice now.
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Try calling your normal cellphone number or other local number through GV. If it is working, then problem is more likely with India LD. I have been using both GV and India LD combination for more than 3 years without problems. Also, I can confirm that it worked this morning for me.

    Another thing you may want to keep in mind is that the Internet line that carries voice call traffic from India to Europe was cut in the Egyptian sea. This has affected traffic to and from India. Hope this helps.

    Please report if your problem was fixed or not for other readers, if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i got my magicJack NUMBER1 and googleVoice NUMBER2. When I call NUMBER2 from NUMBER1, i don't get to choose option "2". It directly goes to voicemail. Could you tell me how to do this?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've provided detailed step-by-step instructions with pictures in another post . You'll need to complete step 3. Let me know if this works.

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for providing the detailed steps. i went through all the steps and everything worked fine but i have issues at the end.
    the call to reliance toll free numbers goes through, it also prompts me to dial the number that i need to call in india, but after dialing the india no. the call does not get placed. is there a further work around needed.

    thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am unable to get prompted for Option 2. Please help.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. I use this with google voice for all calls
    http://www.amazon.com/OBi200-VoIP-Phone-Adapter-T-38/dp/B00BUV7C9A

    ReplyDelete